Closing Date: December 31, 2016
The Kinross Corporate Head Office is located in downtown Toronto and supports Kinross operations and projects worldwide. Corporate functions include Finance, Procurement, Health & Safety, Human Resources, IT and Investor Relations.
The position is to provide data analysis expertise using statistical tools and continuous improvement methodologies; to drive toward insights on the data and develop summaries of findings; to work collaboratively with the operational teams at Kinross’ mine sites and corporate departments in executing analysis and providing support for initiative implementations; to actively facilitate the sharing of best practices throughout each mine site and among Kinross’ mines globally.
a. Work with mine site operational teams, as well as corporate functions (Energy, Technical Services, Operations Strategy, Strategic Business Planning, Finance, etc) to help identify and validate future opportunities.
b. Assist in analyzing and interpreting data to identify cost savings or efficiency opportunities. Develop recommendations and action plans for improvement, and where applicable assistance in tracking and monitoring progress
c. Provide ‘at the mine’ analytical, project management, and technical support for our for key projects on an as needed basis
d. Compile and prepare regular progress reports for site senior management and for the corporate Business Optimization team
e. Assist in the ongoing development of Kinross’ global procedures, guidelines and best practices for the corporate Business Optimization team’s projects and initiatives (e.g. Caterpillar Alliance, Kinross Way projects, Life of Mine extension projects, Mine Best Practices etc); provide analytical and mine-site support in the implementation of these initiatives
f. Support Kinross’ annual Strategic Business Planning process through analysis of submitted plans and business cases; synthesize results of plans into management level summaries and presentations
Adheres to all safety and environmental considerations. Wears designated PPE at all times while in the production environment. Is alert and observes, corrects, and reports unsafe conditions. Follows operating procedures and complies with all regulatory requirements.
Scope of Responsibility & Complexity
Work is complex and performed under direction of various operations Strategy team members. Will be required to work within various levels of an organization throughout the operations and corporate office. Ability to independently analyse and synthesize large amounts of information and drive toward insights for improvement opportunities is an integral part of the role. Ability to persuade and lead others without having a formal reporting line is also an important part of the role. Actively supports Kinross’ sites and corporate departments to ensure projects are completed on time, on budget, and to required standards.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in mining, chemical, or metallurgical engineering, accounting, finance or a related field. Additional specialized education, including masters level degree or equivalent would be beneficial
• Formal Lean, Lean Sigma or PMP training and experience would be an asset
• Excellent computer skill set. Microsoft Office suite including Visio and Project
• Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skill set using Excel (ability to perform Logistical Regression, Modeling, etc); familiarity with the use of a statistical analysis program (Minitab, etc) an asset
• Ability to extract data from a variety of platforms and use in Excel, Access and Minitab for analysis
• Create presentations to be used in summaries of findings, specific updates and monthly meetings
• Strong understanding of financial and mining concepts
• Travel up to 50% of the time to Kinross’ mining operations
Additional Qualifications & Skill Requirements
• 1 – 2+ years mining or manufacturing experience performing data analysis and/or supporting or leading technical or improvement initiatives
• Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills
• Attention to detail
• Well organized, works well independently and in team settings, possesses good time-management skills, and is able to work effectively under pressure
• Financial or technical background and ability to understand and apply strategy concepts
• Refines process of collecting and assimilating information from various departments for use in asset strategy analysis
• Prepares business reports
• Demonstrates an understanding of the mining industry and an ability to contribute to related discussions
• Establishes networks and relationships in the mining industry, helping to identify and develop opportunities
• Analyzes and synthesizes information quickly and correctly
• Exhibits a high level of professionalism and accountability
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.