Closing Date: December 31, 2016
Date: Jan 5, 2016
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Kinross Corporate Head Office is located in downtown Toronto and supports Kinross operations and projects worldwide. Corporate functions include Finance, Procurement, Health & Safety, Human Resources, IT and Investor Relations.
To execute global environmental management strategies to achieve Kinross’ commitment to high standards and performance. To coordinate and advise senior management and operations on all aspects of environmental compliance, management and problem solving. Lead the environmental compliance audit program. Contribute to the development, implementation and reporting of Kinross’ environmental practices, programs, standards, management systems, and performance metrics.
1. Management and maintenance of the corporate environmental compliance audit program including audit procedures, budgeting, planning, training, organization, scheduling, communications, coordination, contracting and continuous improvement.
2. Provide technical and strategic direction to regions and operations regarding compliance with Company policies, legal requirements and commitments.
3. Assist with compilation of monthly and quarterly environmental performance and issue reports for management.
4. Execute environmental management strategies to achieve high standards of performance; ensuring strategies are concretely linked to the organization’s overall strategy and business practices.
5. Collaborate with senior management to identify and analyze environmental requirements, risks, and solution options and implement agreed upon strategies.
6. Provide leadership and mentoring to site personnel regarding the design, development, implementation, review, and maintenance of environmental controls and management systems.
7. Direct environmental consultants and contractors to ensure the production of technically sound work products supporting Kinross’ business objectives.
8. Contribute to the formulation of annual operating and capital budgets for environmental management consistent with Kinross’ established financial guidelines and business planning process.
9. Collaborate with management to develop the capabilities of Kinross’ environmental and permitting professionals through strategic training and development opportunities.
10. Act as a change agent and project sponsor for environmental management execution; model organizational values, set the cultural tone, and prioritize business goals.
Education and Experience
BA or BS degree in Environmental Engineering, Natural Resource Management, Biological Sciences, Mining Engineering, or similar technical discipline, or equivalent experience with increasing levels of responsibility. Additional specialized education up to 4 years including masters level degree or equivalent an asset.
Experience as an environmental auditor. Lead auditor experience desirable.
10 or more years of related work experience including experience directing environmental management at a mining operation or equivalent.
Proven analytical problem solver. Quick learner.
Experience managing senior employees and directing work teams. Experience in managing people in diverse functional, technical, and cultural settings.
Thorough understanding of environmental best practice, its implementation, and the laws and regulations that relate to hard-rock mining operations.
Ability and willingness to travel and work internationally. International work experience desirable.
English fluency with multilingual capability an asset (consistent with our areas of operation: French, Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian).
Proven ability to effectively communicate key messages both orally and in writing.
Working knowledge and skills with a PC utilizing word processing and spreadsheet programs.
Ability to work independently with minimal oversight.
Excellent administrative and organizational skills.
High performance standards.
Contributes to the development of policies and procedures relating to environmental management, compliance, permitting, reclamation and closure. Assists in ensuring that Kinross work areas are in compliance with environmental policies and regulations and that environmental staff have the necessary training, skills, knowledge, and tools to do their jobs effectively.
Scope of Responsibility & Complexity
Works under the direction of the Vice President, Environmental Affairs. Work is highly complex and requires industry and environmental management expertise in addition to business acumen and organizational knowledge. Work is performed with general authority and results are commonly achieved through other managers and senior professionals. Ability to influence team members and stakeholders directly linked to communications skills and effectiveness in global setting. Work significantly impacts the results of the Company.
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.
Job Segment: Environmental Engineering, Engineer, Manager, Procurement, Engineering, Management, Operations