Teck Alaska Incorporated, Red Dog Operations, one of the world’s largest producers of zinc concentrate, is recruiting for four nonexempt Journeyperson Millwright positions. Due to anticipated needs, we are currently recruiting for career oriented individuals to fill this role.
Red Dog Mine, located in Northwest Alaska, is a large, technically challenging open pit mine, mill and port facility. It is a remote, but modern and well-equipped fly-in fly-out operation that provides free room and board for employees, and regular transportation to and from Anchorage and surrounding regional villages.
Rotation schedule will be two weeks onsite and one week offsite OR four weeks onsite and two weeks offsite.
Reporting to the Mill Maintenance Supervisor, the incumbents will safely install, maintain, dismantle and overhaul a variety of equipment and systems used in a Mining and Milling operation.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
- The incumbent will participate in property and departmental safety initiatives some of which include High Potential Risk Assessments, Job Safety Observations, Pre-Shift warm up exercises and accurate SETA Card documentation and necessary follow up.
- Responsible for maintaining tidy work areas, lockers, tool boxes, shops and personnel accommodations.
- Accurate and timely record keeping including, maintaining Maintenance Work Orders with specific details of time to complete work, key observations of the equipment, parts used and those returned to inventory.
- Dismantles, troubleshoots, assembles and installs a variety of industrial equipment which may include several varieties of pumps, crushing and grinding machinery, conveyors, and numerous other ancillary equipment used in a mining and milling operation.
- Operate hoisting and lifting devices, such as cranes, jacks and tractors, to position machinery and parts during the installation, set-up and repair of machinery.
- Interacts with a variety of employees on the property such as operators, engineering, trades and operating supervision on methods, procedures and hazards in order to coordinate the services of other trades and service personnel in the planning of their portion of the job; prioritizing work on a daily basis utilizing the Maintenance Work Order System; estimating material costs and labour hours on jobs and troubleshooting plant equipment.
- Ensures all tools and equipment are maintained and kept in a clean and orderly condition.
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of environmental risks and hazards as well as complies with safety policies and procedures (MSHA and Red Dog EMS training) and ensures daily workplace inspections are done in order to accurately identify and correct workplace hazards.
- Must take a leading role in training and development of the NANA Shareholder apprentice.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Must be a Journeyperson Millwright or have 10 or more years’ or proven experience in heavy industrial maintenance which includes pumps, conveyors, welding, alignment, heavy rigging, compressors, crushers and sag and ball mills.
- Capability of working with engineered drawings.
- Must have the ability to adhere to high safety standards.
- Must be able to work day, afternoon, or night shifts as required.
- Must be a team player and able to communicate well with others.
- Must be highly motivated and have ability to perform tasks with limited direction.
- Must be able to work outdoors with a potential exposure to extreme climatic conditions.
- Must be able to perform labor intensive work when required.
- Ability to obtain a valid Alaska driver license is desirable.
- Basic computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft office applications