Lumwana Mine, Solwezi, Zambia.
Reporting to: Medium-Term Planning Coordinator
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Medium-Term Planning Engineer
Reporting to the Medium-Term Planning Coordinator, you will be responsible for the delivery of the medium-term forecast mining plans, bench extraction plans and budgets with associated waste dump, stockpiles and supporting infrastructure for the medium-term plans. Your duties will include but not limited to the following:
· With input from the Department Managers and Superintendents, create the medium-term forecast mining plans, bench extraction sequences and budgets. These revisions will ensure ore recoveries are maximized and equipment is utilized effectively, and waste is dumped in a manner which allows waste dumps to be built efficiently and progressive rehabilitation to occur
· Ensure the medium-term plans follow logical and practical mining sequences particularly wet and dry season mining strategies and requirements
· Assist with production of mine reconciliation reports for quarterly and annual periods tracking mine production, spatial compliance and mining costs.
· Design of waste dump sequences for medium term planning horizons including limits, development sequences, tip heads, spine roads and competent material requirements
· Assist the Department Superintendents in the development of bench extraction plans and blast masters.
· Liaise with Geology and Processing Superintendent to ensure suitable quantity and quality of ore for Processing requirements
· Under the guidance of Department Superintendents develop pit, dump and other infrastructure designs which are appropriate to suit the needs of the mine planning team
· Track the performance of the medium-term plans against actual plan performance.
· Provide strategic guidance to the short term mine planning team.
· Assist in the development of standard operating procedures.
· Ensure that environmental policies and strategies are incorporated into mining plans.
· Provide support to other mine planning disciplines when required.
· Accountable for completion of all tasks identified in the Management Operating System (MOS) to the specified quality and timelines as assigned to this role.
Experience & Qualifications
· B.Sc. in Mining Engineering.
· Member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia.
· Minimum experience of 3 years mining engineering
· Experience in large multi pit operations utilizing large scale mining equipment i.e. drill rigs and blasting experience essential.
· Experience in Mine Planning and Design, Scheduling and production.
· Able to clearly demonstrate the aptitude to drive a light vehicle and hold a current Zambian driver license or be able to obtain one.
· Be physically fit and be able to pass a pre-employment medical examination.
· Must have excellent written and oral communication skills in English and show a commitment to impart technical knowledge to the mine operations personnel.
· Competent in incident/accident investigation
· Proven ability to deliver results and act as a change agent.
· Ability to lead a team safely and improve team safety awareness.
· Understanding of all relevant legislation affecting the employment and safety of persons in the mining industry in Zambia.
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks.
March 20, 2023
Gold prices backed off from the key $2,000 level on Monday as investors assess the health of the global banking sector, even as increasing bets of a Federal Reserve rate pause kept bullion near a one-year peak. Earlier, spot gold climbed 1.6% to its highest si … Read More
March 20, 2023
Golden Minerals Company (NYSE-A: AUMN, TSX: AUMN), a precious metals miner with over a dozen projects across Argentina, Mexico and United States, has provided an initial mineral resource estimate for its Yoquivo silver-gold project. Yoquivo is an exploration-s … Read More
March 20, 2023
Evolution Mining Ltd (ASX: EVN) shares surged as much as 11.2% on Monday as the Australian gold miner started underground production three months ahead of schedule at its New South Wales Cowal project. “We are now on the pathway to increase Cowal’s production … Read More