Lumwana Mine, Solwezi, Zambia.
Reporting to: Coordinator – Production Geologist
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Mine Geologist
Reporting to the Coordinator – Production Geologist, it is anticipated that in your role as Mine Geologist your duties will include but not limited to the following:
· Ensure ore blocks are optimally designed to minimize ore loss and dilution
· Ensure all ore blocks mark-ups are checked against the ore block design plan
· Communicate clearly with mine supervisors to make sure ore is being mined to company standards
· Ensure that the ore design procedures are being correctly followed and all ore block data is being managed correctly, i.e. ore block details file.
· Vulcan grade control block model is being correctly flagged and updated with mineable blocks at the end of each month. Know how to evaluate and report mineable blocks against the reserve model and report.
· Ensure all production reconciliations (mineable block to model, ore block planned to actual, crusher feed to plant etc.) are being carried out on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis and disseminated to all designated staff. The appropriate actions are being communicated to rectify any reconciliation issues.
· Ensure that all geological technicians are correctly managing the collection of all geological data i.e. sampling (gamma logger and met) and mapping.
· Ensure that data is evaluated and make recommendations on how to improve the feed grade, maximize recovery and throughput in the process plant
· Ensure that all geological technicians are complying with their daily responsibilities i.e. refresh ore mark-up tapes, marks-ups are clear, communicating clearly with mine supervisors, supervising sampling, mapping and ore spotting requirements
· Ensure that modular daily material movement’s data is checked and updated before the daily report is sent by the dispatch engineer each morning.
Experience & Qualifications
· BSc in Geology
· Member of the Engineering Institute of Zambia
· Ability to communicate effectively across all levels
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: A Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks.