At our Kinross Fort Knox Mine located 30 minutes outside of Fairbanks Alaska, you’ll find many rewarding career opportunities and a life full of adventure in the great Alaskan outdoors. Fairbanks is a lively community that mixes small-town charm with big-city amenities, all while having the wilderness and endless recreational possibilities on your doorstep. Kinross is the largest open pit gold mine in Alaska, with over 650 employees producing 240,000 tons per day.
Responsible for the mill Foxboro distributed control system (DCS) and OSI PI data historian. Specific responsibilities include configuration and programming, reporting, system documentation, data historian, and hardware maintenance. Other job responsibilities include interacting with metallurgical, plant operations and E & I staff on development, implementation and evaluation of new control projects, control modifications, and process instrumentation.
- Responsible for all aspects of DCS system management.
- Responsible for configuration and programming of routine modifications and major control project additions to the DCS.
- Responsible for DCS reporting functions for metallurgical, operations and maintenance plant data acquisition.
- Responsible for system documentation of all configured control items and programs. Also responsible for backup of all system configuration and control programs.
- Responsible for new PI data historian.
- Works with plant operations, metallurgical and maintenance personnel on troubleshooting process control problems.
- Responsible for updating P & IDs following changes in plant control.
- Interacts with metallurgical, plant operations and E & I personnel to develop, implement and evaluate new control strategies and methods as well as control instrumentation.
- Responsible for training another person as a fill-in for vacations or other time away from the job.
- Assumes responsibility for self-development by identifying and attending appropriate training courses.
- Has a good understanding of the Fort Knox mill process and the relationship of process control to mill performance.
- Stays current with new control developments for possible application in the Fort Knox mill process.
- Prepares status and monthly reports on all DCS projects.
- Punctuality and regular attendance are required.
- Compliance with all company policies and procedures including but not limited to safety, confidentiality and environmental policies.
- Meet or exceed established performance expectations set by management.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the state.
- Work without significant risk of harm to self and others.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent. Technical diploma in instrumentation and control, process control technology or electrical / computer technology preferred. Employee must have sufficient education to read and write instructions of a technical nature understand and perform algebraic calculations, use a personal computer, and maintain neat and accurate records.
- General knowledge of modern process control hardware and data networks with detailed knowledge of Foxboro DCS and PI system hardware and system architecture. Familiarity wiht Allen Bradley PLC programming and network architecture.
- General knowledge of modern process control hardware and data networks with detailed knowledge of Foxboro DCS and PI system hardware and system architecture. Familiarity with Allen Bradley PLC programming and network architecture.
- Understand modern process measurement techniques and equipment.
- Understand process dynamics. Understand and apply PID, ratio, cascade and feed forward control techniques.
- Administer small computer networks hosted by Unix and Windows 2000 Server based operating systems.
- Competent using Foxboro I/A and PI historian software applications.
- Able to use Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) and Excel for interdepartmental reposts configuration, data transfer and analysis with PI historian.
- Ability to function within the qualifications outlined in the attached physical demands sheets.
- Ability to work with others in a team environment.
- Progression through wage scale is contingent upon satisfactory completion of attached checklists.
Travel not required, only exceptionally
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.
Job Segment: Technician, Materials Science, Metallurgy, Electrical, Technology, Manufacturing, Science, Engineering