Technical Advisor – Strategic Planning
Lumwana Mine, Solwezi, Zambia.
Reporting to: Strategic Planning Superintendent
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Technical Advisor – Strategic Planning
Reporting to the Superintendent – Strategic Planning, you will be expected to provide technical specialist input into the development of medium term and long-term planning staff and overall Strategic Planning capability in support of a world class planning capability. To assist in the development of scenarios and optimal mine plans to increase the asset value to the various shareholders. This role also involves close working relations across the value chain and includes technical training for the Medium Term and Long-Term Planning Teams.
Your duties will include but not limited to the following:
Experience & Qualifications
· Degree in Mine Engineering from a recognised University
· Professional registration or eligible for registration as a Member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia
· Extensive experience (15-20 years) in the open pit mining industry
· Experience in large multi pit operations, complex geology utilising large scale mining equipment i.e. drill rigs and blasting experience essential.
· Experience in the Mine Planning especially Medium and Long Term Planning
· Specific knowledge of using the Mine Planning software (Whittle, Deswik, Vulcan, Minemax)
· Demonstrated ability to develop staff and create a centre of excellence
· Able to clearly demonstrate the aptitude to drive a light vehicle and hold a current Zambian drivers’ licence or be able to obtain one.
· Be physically fit and be able to pass a pre-employment medical examination.
· Must have excellent written and oral communication skills in English and show a commitment to understand local culture and impart your mining operations and technical knowledge to the local Zambian mine operations personnel.
· Competent in incident/accident investigation
· Commitment to training of Zambian national citizens
· Proven ability to deliver results and act as a change agent.
· Demonstrated ability to lead a team safely and improve team safety awareness.
· High level understanding of all relevant legislation affecting the employment and safety of persons in the mining industry in Zambia.
· Experience in managing costs and budgeting
· Demonstrated application of continuous improvement ideas
Ability to read and interpret Microsoft project softwareZambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks.