Williams Operating Corporation, a Barrick Gold operation located near Marathon, Ontario has an opportunity for an:
Underground Mine Geologist
As a member of the Engineering and Geology Group, the successful candidate will report to the Senior Production Geologist and work an 8 day on, 6 day off roster. This role will require an individual who is safety driven and safety conscious, and capable of working with a diverse team of production geologists, technical services staff, underground operations personnel, and diamond drillers. The selected applicant will be required to sample and map underground headings, inspect stopes, communicate geological information which impacts mining to technical services and operations, design definition drilling programs, have input into Mine Exploration budget proposals, and log core. Knowledge of the Geology of Archean Greenstone belt deposits and hydrothermal alteration patterns will be highly regarded.
• Proven commitment to workplace safety
• Underground field work including: lithological mapping, structural mapping, inspecting stopes, collecting muck samples and chip sampling.
• Map and sample efficiently to meet monthly production and development plan always ensuring quality data collection.
• As required, carry out other tasks including, but not limited to: core logging, drill planning, data validation, grade control block modelling, stope reconciliation, and drillhole interpretation.
Preferred qualifications include:
• Bachelor of Science in Geology
• Registered, or eligible to register, as a Professional Geoscientist with APGO
• 2-7 yrs experience working in an underground mining environment
• Strong computer skills and proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Access)
• Experience with 3D modeling software, geological database software, mapping software, and planning software. Vulcan / Leapfrog, AcQuire, ArcGIS, AutoCAD, and Deswik experience would be highly regarded
• Alimak mining, or raise mapping experience is preferred
• Proficient in underground mapping, sampling, and core logging
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Ability to walk significant grades underground and lift 50 lbs
• Valid driver’s license required
• Strong communication, computing, planning, and problem-solving skills
• Ability to work in a team environment with engineering and production personnel
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Organized, motivated self-starter with high standards expected of themselves and others
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
What we can Offer You
• Ability to make lasting positive impact on the Operation
• Experience working on a World Class, geologically complex Archean Greenstone gold deposit
• Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
• An opportunity to transform Traditional Mining into the future of Digital Mining
• Opportunities to grow and learn with the industry colleagues are endless
• Barrick is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Barrick is the gold industry leader with a vision of wealth generation through responsible mining; wealth for our owners, our people, and the countries and communities with which we partner. Our objective is to maintain and grow industry-leading margins, driven by innovation and our digital transformation; managing our portfolio and allocating capital with discipline and rigor; and leveraging our distinctive partnership culture as a competitive advantage. We aim to cultivate a high-performance culture defined by the following principles: a deep commitment to partnership, consistent execution, operational excellence, disciplined capital allocation, and continual self-improvement. We are obsessed with talent, and seek out fresh perspectives and challenging ourselves to think differently as we transform Barrick into a leading 21st century company.
The Hemlo – Williams Operating Corporation, (a base community – not FIFO) consists of an underground and open pit mine, located approximately 350 kilometers east of Thunder Bay, Ontario.
Barrick is an equal opportunity employer.
Thank you for your application, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.