Australian Aboriginal landowners approve manganese mine expansion plan

March 14, 2016

Responsive image

Australia’s South32 Ltd , the world biggest producer of manganese, has reached an in-principle agreement with traditional indigenous land owners at Groote Eylandt, in the Gulf of Carpentaria, over the expansion of a mine there, a company spokeswoman said.

The expansion plan has not received the required government approval, but a South32 spokeswoman told Reuters the plan could extend the lifespan and expand the scale of Groote Eylandt’s GEMCO manganese mine, a joint venture in which South32 holds a controlling 60% stake and Anglo American holds the remaining 40%.

Category: General