Papua New Guinea
Barrick (Niugini) Limited (BNL), the operator of the Porgera Joint Venture Mine based in the Highlands of Enga Province in Papua New Guinea and offers a unique and challenging work environment. At an elevation in excess of 2100 meters the Porgera Valley has a year round temperate climate with an annual rainfall of approximately 3.6 meters. The 2500 strong workforce is extremely diverse both culturally and in regards to education, skill and experience. Porgera Joint Venture is an open pit and underground gold mining operation, with mineral processing facilities including pressure oxidation and autoclave technology.
We seek to appoint an experienced Senior Mining Engineer (Production) Underground to join the Porgera team. Reporting directly to the Superintendent – Mine Engineering Services, the Senior Mining Engineer (Production) Underground is responsible for the following:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise the Underground Mine Engineering Team in working to the 2 weekly and 13 week plan, manage the production, drill and blast, ventilation, dispatch and back fill engineers to render a quality service to the Underground Mine Operations team.
- To oversee the communication of the 2-weekly and 13 weekly plans within the context of the relevant forecast/budget plan between UG Mine Engineering Services and the UG Operations teams.
- To monitor compliance to plans and investigate variances in planned activities, provide timely feedback to UG Operations and Mine Technical Services Management team.
- Monitor UG equipment performance trends. Facilitate use of equipment performance data in 2-weekly and 13-weekly process.
- Report on a weekly and monthly basis to all parties regarding production figures and numbers.
- Maintain quality control systems in respect to execution of mining designs and plans.
- Provide training and coaching to all team members, with specific attention to National and Local employees as part of the Company’s Training and Localisation Plan.
- Coordinate and manage projects within area of accountability, to achieve completion to agreed quality, budget and schedule.
- Review expenditure on a monthly basis and ensure all variances to budget are investigated and explained.
To be suitable for this role, you will possess the following:
- Significant mine engineering experience (>5 years), with experience in a senior underground production role.
- Underground mine planning experience.
- Experience in the design, installation and management of mine ventilation systems.
- Experience in the management of underground mine water.
- Experience in drill and blast engineering.
- Knowledge of underground mining technology and heavy production equipment.
- Experience in developing the role-specific knowledge of less experienced engineers.
- Demonstrated success as an effective leader.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team safely and improve team safety awareness.
- High level understanding of all relevant legislation affecting the employment and safety of persons in the mining industry in PNG.
- Demonstrated application of continuous improvement ideas.
- Current Drivers Licence.
- Advanced skills in the use of mine planning software and production databases.
- Good computer skills with the ability to use integrated management systems, word processing, presentation and spreadsheet applications.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels.
- Strong report writing and presentation skills.
- The ability and willingness to train and develop national employees;
- For those candidates who have strong written and verbal communication skills in both English and Chinese are encouraged to apply.
Your point of hire will be Cairns, Australia and your primary location will be the Porgera Mine Site. An on-travel allowance will be provided to candidates who reside outside of Cairns, Australia. The roster for this role is a fly in, fly out rotation on 16 days on, 12 days off.
The Company will provide assistance as per BNL Relocation Policy to relocate the successful candidate to Cairns, Australia if the candidate holds a current visa to reside in Australia. The offer for this role is conditional upon the candidate successfully obtaining and retaining a visa that allows you to work in Papua New Guinea.
All submissions must be via the Barrick website www.barrick.com/Careers reference number: 077560. Applications close on Tuesday 29th December 2015. If you have any further questions please contact Kristy Soper, Human Resources Officer on (07) 4050 5100.
Please note as part of the BNL Recruitment Process, all applicants must be willing to undertake immigration and pre-employment medical screening and will need to obtain a National Police Clearance.
BNL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages cultural diversity, gender equality and non-discrimination. Applicants who have not been responded to within thirty (30) days should consider their application unsuccessful.