The person selected for this position will work on projects involving traditional geotechnical engineering analysis and designs related to shallow and deep foundations, slope stability, seepage, bearing capacity, settlement, earth retention, and dams. The work will include geotechnical computer modeling; specifying and interpreting soil and rock investigations, including drilling and cone penetrometer testing; overseeing on-site and in-laboratory material testing; and instrumentation installations. Projects will focus on geotechnical design and analysis and will include the preparation of plans and specifications (including CADD work), writing reports, and estimating costs. The also includes field work such as construction observation; subsurface investigations; in-situ testing; surveying; materials testing; facility inspections; and managing selected project tasks for scope, schedule, and budget compliance. This job requires periodic out-of-town assignments.
NOTE: Applicants must be able to work in locations that feature rough terrain typical of construction sites and must be able to enter and work within facilities that include limited accessibility, moving machinery, and other conditions typical of industrial facilities. Job assignments may occasionally involve work on waste disposal sites and sites requiring cleanup of hazardous materials. Participation in a medical surveillance program is required. Safety training will be provided before being assigned to work on these sites.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering with a geotechnical emphasis
- 0-5 years of relevant work experience with traditional geotechnical engineering
- Strong technical skills in a wide range of geotechnical analysis and design
- Demonstrated flexibility and willingness to modify personal schedule as required to meet project deadlines and/or client needs
- Willingness and ability to regularly travel
- Computer skills including CADD, word processing, and spreadsheets
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Geotechnical computer modeling capabilities
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without the need for sponsorship
- Acceptable driving record
- Graduate degree in geotechnical engineering with additional coursework in structural engineering or rock mechanics
- 5+ years of geotechnical experience
- Training or work experience in rock engineering
- Project or task management skills
- Interest in mining engineering, power generation facilities, and fuels industries
- Work experience with geotechnical analysis and geotechnical computer modeling or other related software (FLAC, Plaxis, and/or Geo-studio)
Barr Engineering Co. reserves the right to consider other legitimate, non-discriminatory factors that are not specifically listed.
We require proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Barr strives to make www.barr.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance with completing the application process, please call 952-832-2600, or toll free at 800-632-2277.
Barr is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other lawfully protected status.
Barr Engineering Co.