LOCATION: Fort McMurray, Alberta (CA-AB)
JOB NUMBER: 1152
Reporting to the Manager, Mine Drainage, as the Mine Supervisor you will be responsible for achieving safety and production targets in accordance with prescribed daily plans, policies and procedures.
- Supervise a multi-skilled workforce
- Ensure compliance with all work place rules, procedures and occupational health and safety code
- Follow daily priorities to meet the required dig locations for the shovel fleet as outlined in the week plan and sustain improvement initiatives
- Monitor shovel pits and roads to ensure resources are properly allocated to meet safety and production goals
- Supervise the work required for bulk excavations, dyke construction, soil salvage and heavy hauler road building
- Work closely with shift trainers to ensure skill sets and training requirements are being met
- Verify the proper completion of work assignments and investigate incidents and near misses with a view toward positive action through training or equipment setup based on report of findings
- Support mine operations technical support groups (mine planning, survey, geotechnical, geology) as needed
- Demonstrate courageous leadership and manage employee performance
Suncor is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) from a provincially recognized institution
- Valid driver’s license with no suspensions and no more than two infractions in the last two years
- Minimum combination of 10-15 years of superintendent/supervisory and heavy equipment operating experience
- Mining Engineers with practical field experience as a front line leader will also be considered
- Experience working in a start-up mining operation would be an asset
Skills and Knowledge:
- High motivation with strong communication, organizational and administrative skills
- Good working knowledge of occupational health and safety regulations and an understanding of loss management techniques
- Knowledge of SAP Modular would be an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work closely with others at various levels within the company
- Motivated, self-starter who can work well independently or within a team environment
- An effective communicator with the ability to develop positive working relations across a multitude of business units
- Effective leadership skills with demonstrated ability to make important decisions
- Exercise good judgment on complex decisions
- Computer skills and ability to learn new programs is required
- Located at Fort Hills mine site 90 km north of Fort McMurray with working conditions that are a combination of 90% field work and 10% office work
- Clean Drivers Abstract required
- Mobile field needs will require operating a light vehicle in an active mining arena
- Fly-in/fly-out from Calgary and Edmonton. Also open to applicants in British Columbia’s Lower Mainland (Vancouver) and Thompson Okanagan (Kelowna and surrounding area)
- Brand new lodges at site with private bedrooms and bathrooms, chef prepared meals, housekeeping service, a gymnasium complex, sport leagues, movie theaters, and more
- Shift schedule is seven days on, seven days off then seven nights on rotation
Put yourself in our picture. At Suncor, we’re invested in your success. We want you to have a job you’re genuinely excited about – as well as opportunities to learn, grow and challenge yourself. Student internships offer varied project opportunities that will enhance your studies and can sometimes lead to permanent, full-time employment status.
ABOUT FORT HILLS
Travel just 90 kilometres north of Fort McMurray, Alberta and you’ll find Fort Hills, the largest undeveloped oil sands mining asset in the region with more than 50 years of life expectancy. Fort Hills is being developed in a joint venture between Suncor, Total and Teck Resources, and Suncor is the site operator.
Fort Hills is a fly-in/fly-out work site with brand new lodge-style accommodations for contractors and employees. You’ll fly to and from work with Sunjet, Suncor’s private airline, from one of our hubs in Western Canada. Flexible travel assistance may also be available to get you to and from our hubs if you live in Western Canada. Our lodges are modern, with comfortable living quarters and free, fresh meals. You’ll also enjoy:
- two movie theaters
- a multi-sports/gymnasium complex available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- a games room
- a golf simulator
- convenience store
- chef prepared meals
- market-style cafeteria, and more.
Suncor Energy is Canada’s energy company – meaning rewarding opportunities for you to apply your knowledge, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions. Our business portfolio spans the entire energy sector, from a leadership position in oil sands development, to refining and marketing operations, natural gas, and conventional oil production, internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
And while we are working to responsibly develop petroleum resources and contribute to the communities where we live and work, we are also developing our renewable energy portfolio, which includes wind power and biofuels.
As part of Suncor’s team, you’ll contribute to the ongoing success of Canada’s largest energy company – one with a solid track record of growth, a focus on safety and sustainability and tremendous potential for the future. And you’ll have the opportunity to learn from experts in the industry and build on your skills every day.
Not sure if this particular listing is the right opportunity? Follow Suncor on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job listings and employment news.
JOB CATEGORY: Trade & Operators