The Reliability Engineering Non-Production Assets (NPA) group is currently seeking a Structural Engineer to join its team in Fort McMurray, Alberta. Reporting to the Manager of Reliability Engineering (NPA), the Structural Engineer is responsible for the provision of structural engineering solutions to a range of oil sands business unit customers to support the safe and reliable operation of assets including foundations, steel structures, piping supports, platforms and lifting devices.
This position requires very strong engineering skills and a highly motivated and organized individual who is capable of fostering and maintaining strong relationships with a broad range of stakeholders. The candidate must be adept at prioritizing & managing multiple tasks in a highly dynamic environment.
- Model, design, and issue-for-construction engineered scopes of work for new platforms, pipe racks, pipe supports, equipment supports, rigging beams, and foundations in accordance with CSA S16-09, AISC 360-10, CSA A23.3, CSA S136-07, and ACI 360R-06.
- Assess, model, and certify various structural components of lifting equipment including, but not limited, to monorails, jib cranes, bridge crane runway beams and lifting lugs in accordance with CSA S16-09, CMAA 74, and CSA B167-08
- Assess and model existing structural components such as beams, columns, slabs, monorails, and foundations for occupancy changes, load changes, rigging, temporary loads, and dynamic loads and provide upgrade solutions as required.
- Design & detail connections for beams, columns, and tension/compression members.
- Model, analyze, and design structures through the use of STAAD Pro;
- Developing repair solutions options and recommendation;
- Provide subject matter expertise & due-diligence advisory for third-party vendor proposed engineering solutions;
- Ensure work is in compliance with all regulatory requirements and Suncor standards;
- Check, Approve, and Seal engineering drawings/work packages, as required;
- Conduct effective root causes analysis of asset failures with a focus on preventing future reoccurrence and improving operations.
Suncor is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Engineering or Science degree in Civil Engineering (structural specialty) and registered, or immediately eligible for registration, as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng.), with APEGA or other provincial jurisdiction is required;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated experience in structural analysis;
- Minimum of 5 years engineering work experience and a minimum of 2 years as a licensed Professional Engineer (or equivalent) conducting first-hand structural analysis, modelling and solution design.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Strong understanding of the design of reinforced concrete & structural steel.
- Fully proficient and proven experience in modeling, analyzing and designing structures through the use of STAAD Pro;
- Structural drafting through the use of AutoCAD a benefit;
- Understanding and ability to provide solutions compliant with CSA S16-09, AISC 360-10, CSA S136-07, CSA B167-08, CMAA 74, AISC 360-10, and ACI 360R-06;
- Proficient written and verbal skills in English;
- Proven experience working in integrated teams
- Very proficient in Microsoft Office applications, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook
- Able to collaborate across multiple-disciplines; and
- Previous experience in oil & gas an asset.
- The position involves both office and field work;
- The position requires the ability to climb ladders (up to 100′), work in confined spaces, remote areas and on aerial platforms or scaffolding
- Normal schedule for this position is regular business hours, Monday – Friday with occasional off-hours support required.
- This position is located in Fort McMurray, Alberta
- If you reside elsewhere, relocation to a primary residence within 60 km of Fort McMurray is mandatory and relocation support will be provided
- Suncor offers highly competitive housing assistance and retention programs to eligible candidates
Go ahead. Expect success. We want you to have a job you’re genuinely excited about – as well as opportunities to learn, grow, challenge yourself or mentor others. Plus, Suncor Energy offers a flexible employee package that can be adjusted to suit the changing needs of your life, including:
- competitive base salary and compensation programs
- attractive annual incentive program
- flexible benefits package
- rewarding pension and savings plans
Wondering if you and Suncor are the right fit? Hear what people at Suncor have to say about working here. Go ahead. Find out why your peers chose Suncor »
ABOUT FORT MCMURRAY
Fort McMurray is a northern Canadian city rich in resources and cultural diversity nestled in the Boreal Forest in Wood Buffalo. Explore what Fort McMurray has to offer – from its stunning natural environment and multicultural community, to its quiet neighbourhoods.
Find out more about living and working in Fort McMurray at goaheadfortmac.com »
Suncor Energy is a sustainably operated Canadian integrated energy company. Our company combines a leading position in oil sands with complementary operations in refining and marketing, North American natural gas production and conventional oil production internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
At Suncor, we operate our businesses reliably and efficiently with an emphasis on employee safety and a number of initiatives aimed at ensuring a safe and healthy environment. Suncor is also committed to contributing to the well-being of the communities where we operate – including yours.
Our use of innovative technology has made us an industry leader in the energy business – and with a strong strategy for growth, Suncor offers a solid foundation for you to continue building your career.As an employer, Suncor is one of the best companies in Canada, providing tremendous future potential where talented people thrive. As our business evolves, so do our employment opportunities. Our work culture includes a dynamic mix of newcomers and experienced professionals, with a diversity of skills and expertise from all parts of Canada.
Learn more about why our employees choose Suncor »
Not sure if this particular listing is the right opportunity? Follow Suncor on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job listings and employment news.