Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. is proud to present the Historic Carlisle Extension Gold Mining Claim. This is a 20 acre lode mining claim for sale exclusively through Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. The claim is located just outside of Lordsburg, New Mexico and has been properly staked and marked at all corners. All Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. claims have been meticulously surveyed, mapped and researched. Field work is completed by our own experienced, well versed Mine Survey Team.
Location and Access:
Steeple Rock Mining District – Grant County, New Mexico
You can drive to within 50 feet of the mine entrances.
15 miles of easy well maintained 2WD dirt road to the claim. This is 15 miles outside of Duncan, Arizona.
Contact us for exact coordinates
The Carlisle Extension Mineral Claim covers the more important interests butting up against the patented Carlisle Property. There is a large shaft and foundations, along with multiple mine entrances, cuts, and prospects. The ores showing around the workings contain gold with some lead and silver. Quartz is prevalent and shores up assessments of native gold in quartz deposits, which are asserted by the Carlisle Gold Mining Company.
The roads to the property are in excellent condition and suitable for full-size vehicles and trailers. There is staging room for some equipment near the smaller mines. Roads can be traversed with high clearance 2WD with no major concerns.
There is a wash running down one side of the property which may provide some small scale placer recovery. The majority of the value in the mine will be in gold which will be recovered underground. The primary shaft will need to be cleared, and collared to be made safe for working. This effort will require a Notice of Operation and a small bond. Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. can assist with the writing of this NOO at the request of the claim owner.
There are two other smaller mine shafts and prospects that could be worked without a notice or heavy excavation. These could be used to provide income and capital while preparing to open the main shaft.
Historically worked for gold, silver, and copper. The shaft is currently caved and will require clearing but is estimated to be 1500-2000 feet in total workings. An extremely historic region that has produced thousands of tons of gold, silver, and copper. Good operation for small miners with the resources to clear the shaft and work underground.
The Carlisle Extension has covered the majority of the workings with good potential for gold recovery and economic development. These claims were once a part of the Carlisle property but the claims lapsed and Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. has staked and claimed this mining property.
The rocks of the Steeple Rock district are all of igneous origin and comprise volcanic flows, less abundant volcanic elastics, and many small rhyolite intrusives, air probably of Tertiary age. Most of the volcanic rocks are of andesitic composition but range from andesitic basalt to rhyolite. Subsequent to their extravasation these rocks were tilted to their present attitude of northwesterly strike and low-angle northeasterly dip. A series of high-angle normal faults also formed. The tilting and faulting were probably closely associated, and some of the tilting may have been a direct result of the faulting.
From a 1964 geological survey,
L. Utter (written communication) states that the Carlisle was a producing mine prior to 1880. In 1883, the Carlisle was sold to a group which included Marshall Field, N. K. Fairbanks, and other prominent merchants and capitalists from Chicago. Between 1883 and 1887, the Carlisle group of claims was patented, a 20-stamp mill built, and the Carlisle mine operated to the 300- or 400-foot level. During this period the company was organized as the Carlisle Mining Company.
In January 1887, the Carlisle Mining Company was sold, reputedly for $1,000,000, to English interests, the Golden Leaf Mining Company, Limited, and Henry Cameron Richardson. The Rothschild interests in England were involved in the purchase. The affairs of the Carlisle Gold Mining Company were conducted by a series of trustees until 1896 when the Steeple Rock Development Company was organized. At about this time, other companies were interested in the district, including the Laura Consolidated Company, also controlled by English interests.
The Steeple Rock Development Company and its predecessor company spent large sums of money developing the Carlisle and other properties in the district. The Carlisle was developed to 600 feet; the mill was enlarged to a 60-stamp mill;... and a smelter was built at the Carlisle mine. The smelter was supposedly unsuited for the complex Carlisle ores. Although about $4,000,000 worth of ore, principally gold and silver but including small tonnages of copper, lead, and zinc, were shipped from the Carlisle during this period, the great expenses incurred resulted in 1897 in the mine being closed. The smelter was dismantled and moved away, supposedly to be replaced by one more adapted to the Carlisle ores. This was never done, and the mine remained shut down. In 1914, the estate was sold to George H. Utter.
Between 1914 and 1917, Utter operated the Jim Crow mine, sinking the shaft to 300 feet. Some mining was done at the Carlisle and other properties by Utter and by other individuals, but only small lots of ore were mined and shipped. In 1920, operations virtually ceased, and between 1920 and 1932 essentially no ore was mined. In 1927, the United Metals Corporation dewatered, examined, and sampled the Carlisle mine. It sank the winze from the 600- to the 700-foot level, drifted on this level, and drilled some diamond-drill holes below it, but mined no ore. In 1930, the mine was again allowed to fill with water.
Between 1943 and 1946, the Syndicate operated the Carlisle mine under lease from the Carlisle Development Company which owned the property. The complex gold-silver-copper-lead-zinc ore was first treated at the mill of the Southwest Minerals Company in Duncan, but in 1944, the mill at East Camp was converted to flotation to handle the ore. Mining by the Syndicate ceased in 1946.
Between 1936 and 1941, the Veta Mines Inc. and other lessees operated the Carlisle mine, and in 1941 and 1942, it was operated by Southwest Minerals Company. The ore and also old mill tailings were treated at the mill in Duncan.
In 1960, the Carlisle group of four patented and fifteen unpatented claims belonged to the Carlisle Development Company, Mrs. Roy B. Wilson, Phoenix.
Carlisle Extension runs along the edge of the historic Carlisle mine with is a private and patented Gold producing property. There are multiple cuts (10646, 10647) and prospects on the central area of the claim. These workings show quartz and pyrites along some defined trends in the area. 10651 is a much larger mine and boasts substantial footings and foundations over an obstructed shaft. There are water lines and pipe coming out of the top of the slough indicating a likely bulkhead covered with slough. Estimate based on waste dump that there are at least 2500' of workings in this mine. The shaft is estimated to be roughly 300' with drifting levels.
Federally Registered Mining Claim ID:NMMC198647